My Blog List

Monday 25 April 2016

A question from a student

Today I received an email from a student who is working on a speech for Nga Manu Korero.  I'm sharing it here (and the answer I sent) because it made me articulate my beliefs.  It was pretty cool that the provocation came from a student!

My speech is about building relationships between Maori students and their teachers. I am writing about steps to be taken by teachers and students to build these relationships ... I was wondering if you could explain steps you, as a teacher, take to build relationships with students, especially underachieving and Maori ones. I'm asking you because I have been identifying teachers that have supported and inspired me.

Dear _____,
Great topic!  I think teaching is all about relationships - if you don't have that, you haven't really got anything. If a student can be themselves in your class (rather than leaving themselves at the door) you have a much more inclusive, diverse, interesting environment for everyone. Trust (through relationships) mean students will share, think and hopefully learn in your class!

I'm not sure there is a 'step by step' process that can be applied - relationships, after all, are flexible, fluid things that move and bend with time.  Change is all we can be sure of!  Having said that, these are some things that I've found important:

* Learning and pronouncing names correctly.  If we do this, we make a statement about our intentions - respect, care and integrity.

* Try to find what you have in common.  ANYTHING! Beliefs? Sports? Activities? Stories? This is how we all form relationships - sharing ourselves with others.

* Try to use what students value in their time with you.  Give lots of choice.  If work is relevant students will be motivated to learn.  So ... using you as an example: can we use your Manu Korero speech as an 'oral presentation' assessment for 3 credits? Can we use your drama monologue in any of our work/assessment in class?

Choose a range of texts that challenge as well as offering students chances to feel like they have views/perspectives to offer (if they so choose).  Although I like to try and incorporate Maori texts in class, it can be difficult (especially at senior level, when the stakes are higher).  I think Bernard Beckett, author and teacher, says it really well here: http://booknotes-unbound.org.nz/do-new-zealand-books-make-the-grade-in-classrooms/

* Your physical space (classroom) should reflect the students in it.  So lots of work on the walls.  When a physical space feels like YOUR space (as a student) relationships, respect and trust are likely to be stronger.  In a specifically bicultural context, I think it's important to have some reo up on the walls (although with all the building renovations, some of my words are falling off/have been ripped off the walls!)

* Again, in a bicultural context, it's important to use some reo in the class.  It might just be 'whakarongomai' or 'ka kite', but making the effort is important.

* If a student reaches out (conversation, email, whatever) always reply as soon as possible.  This shows a student that you respond when offered a connection point.

* Be as human as you can be.  Be yourself.  Try to connect.  My coffee/tea morning is me trying to access this as a teacher.

I hope that helps.  I have a great book called 'Culture Speaks' that you are most welcome to borrow.  I'll send a second email with some pics of it.  It's full of interviews between Maori high school students and the researchers (Professor Russell Bishop and Mere Berryman) about the stuff you're interested in.  It may help broaden your perspective even further!  If you would like to borrow it, just let me know.  

Ka kite!
Ms L

No comments:

Post a Comment