My Blog List

Saturday 9 April 2016

In which we catch up on the start of 2016 (and the end of 2015!)

OH how time flies when you are a full time teacher!  No excuses, though; here I am, back on the wagon.

I've personally reflected on so much over the last 4 months, but time constraints meant none of it made it here.  I think I'll try to chronologically discuss these things; some are still actively in 'processing' mode! To save you scrolling forever, I'll make new posts for each 'reflection'.

Year 9 collaborative project with Year 9 Social Studies teacher

In November last year I tried collaborative practice for the first time.  Hana, the Social Studies teacher for the Year 9 class I taught English to, had a project that she (and other Social Studies teachers) launched with the class in the final 4 weeks of school.  As English teacher, I also had a project I would ask the class to complete - after chatting, we realised that it made a lot more sense to get those students to do ONE project that crossed curriculum boundaries.  So, using the template for the Social Studies project, I adapted it to focus on tasks that made and created meaning from the English curriculum, too.




Reflection

It was really cool giving the students more time on an assignment.  It was fun working with a colleague creating the tasks, and it was really neat to talk about how they were going as it progressed.  It was great to have students ask the teacher with specific knowledges about tasks - I learned a lot from the Social Studies curriculum, too.  It felt good to be in touch with what those students were doing in Social Studies through the year - it was a great investment in the relationships I had developed with them, and they could see that I cared beyond the confines of Room 1 (English)!

There weren't a lot of skills to teach during this project as it was an 'end of year' creativity-based assessment - most skills had been taught/learned through the year.  I'd love to collaborate on the actual teaching of skills and tasks across curriculum areas in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment